Volume 2 | Issue 2 | October 2021-March 2022 | page: 89-92 | Bharat Dave, Ajay Krishnan, Devanand Degulmadi, Shivanand Mayi, Ravi Ranjan Rai, Vatsal N. Parmar
Authors: Bharat Dave , Ajay Krishnan , Devanand Degulmadi , Shivanand Mayi , Ravi Ranjan Rai , Vatsal N. Parmar 
 Department of Spine Surgery, Stavya Spine Hospital & Research Institute, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Vatsal N. Parmar,
Consultant Spine Surgeon, Stavya Spine Hospital & Research Institute, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
Aneurysmal bone cysts are often mistaken as malignant tumors such as lesions or another benign bony lesion because of their proliferative component. Treatment of spinal aneurysmal bone cyst is challenging because of its proximity to the spinal cord, unique pathology, and complex growth characteristics. The treatment options are curettage and bone grafting, irradiation, embolization, intralesional injection of calcitonin, and steroid. We present a case of cervical aneurysmal bone cysts operated in a staged procedure: arterial embolization followed by surgical resection and stabilization.
Keywords: Aneurysmal bone cyst, Arterial embolization, Bone grafting
1. Boriani S, De Iure F, Campanacci L, Gasbarrini A, Bandiera S, Biagini R, et al. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the mobile spine: Report on 41 cases. Spine 2001;26:27-35
2. Ruiter DJ, Van Rijssel TG, Van Der Velde EA. Aneurysmal bone cysts: A clinicopathological study of 105 cases. Cancer 1977;39:2231-9.
3. Pennekamp W, Peters S, Schinkel C, Kuhnen C, Nicolas V, Muhr G, et al. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the cervical spine. Eur Radiol 2008;18:2356-60.
4. Sanerkin NG, Mott MG, Roylance J. An unusual intraosseous lesion with fibroblastic, osteoclastic, osteoblastic, aneurysmal and fibromyxoid elements: “Solid” variant of aneurysmal bone cyst. Cancer 1983;51:227.
5. Di Caprio MR, Murphy MJ, Camp RL. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the spine with familial incidence. Spine 2000;25:1589-92.
6. Bertoni F, Bacchini P, Capanna R, Ruggieri P, Biagini R, Ferruzzi A, et al. Solid variant of aneurysmal bone cyst. Cancer 1993;71:729-34.
7. Hay MC, Paterson D, Taylor TK. Aneurysmal bone cysts of the spine. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1978;60:406-11.
8. Capanna R, Albisinni U, Picci P, Calderoni P, Campanacci M, Springfield DS. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the spine. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1985;67:527-31.
9. Dickman CA, Fehlings M, Gokaslan ZL. Spinal Cord and Spinal Column Tumors: Principles and Practice. Thieme; 2006.
10. Caro PA, Mandell GA, Stanton RP. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the spine in children. Mri imaging at 0.5 Tesla. Pediatr Radiol 1991;21:114-6.
11. Murphey MD, Nomikos GC, Flemming DJ, Gannon FH, Temple HT, Kransdorf MJ. From the archives of AFIP. Imaging of giant cell tumor and giant cell reparative granuloma of bone: Radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics 2001;21:1283-309.
12. Suzuki M, Satoh T, Nishida J, Kato S, Toba T, Honda T, et al. Solid variant of aneurysmal bone cyst of the cervical spine. Spine 2004;29:E376-81.
13. Sanerkin NG, Mott MG, Roylance J. An unusual intraosseous lesion with fibroblastic, osteoclastic, osteoblastic, aneurysmal and fibromyxoid elements: “Solid” variant of aneurysmal bone cyst. Cancer 1983;51:227.
14. Cottalorda J, Bourelle S. Current treatments of primary aneurysmal bone cysts. J Pediatr Orthop B 2006;15:155-67.
15. Gladden ML Jr., Gillingham BL, Hennrikus W, Vaughan LM. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the first cervical vertebrae in a child treated with percutaneous intralesional injection of calcitonin and methylprednisolone. A case report. Spine 2000;25:527-30.
16. Cybulski GR, Anson J, Gleason T, Homsi MF, Reyes MG. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the thoracic spine: Treatment by excision and segmental stabilization with Luque rods. Neurosurgery 1989;24: 273-6.
17. Garneti N, Dunn D, El Gamal E, Williams DA, Nelson IW, Sandemon DR. Cervical spondyloptosis caused by an aneurysmal bone cyst. Spine 2003;28:E68-70.
|How to Cite this Article: Dave B, Krishnan A, Degulmadi D, Mayi S, Rai R, Parmar VN | A Case of C 3 Aneurysmal Bone Cyst Managed by Staged Surgery | Back Bone: The Spine Journal | October 2021-March 2022; 2(2): 89-92.